CaMM, MiraMon Metadata Catalog for geospatial data: a Corporative Implementation
Julią N., Masó J. and Zabala A.
A solution for cataloging geospatial metadata and a web search interface for a
corporative collection of datasets has been designed and implemented as a web
The tool (CaMM) is a Win32 application that fills a database designed to be
compliant with the schema and core elements of ISO 19115 and, in addition,
to include extended information (the model used by MiraMon Metadata and
Database Relationships Manager, GeMM) like remote sensing parameters,
hierarchical keywords and the alphanumeric database description.
Search interfaces that follow the OpenGis Catalog Services Specification can
be implemented for these database. Our CGI tool (developed in C) behave as a
portal to a web service that allows:
- Digital catalog creation in several database formats using ODBC: MS Access, ORACLE, etc.
- Automatic discovery of geospatial data from several data sources; it doesn't require to insert layer metadata one by one.
- Automatic creation of catalogs.
- Total or partial update of catalogs.
- Preparation of metadata export documents in XML and HTML format following the standard ISO 19115 or others.
- Generation of several catalogs for different types of users.
The use of these tools has been proven useful for quickly accessing filtered
information, for locating metadata errors and deficiencies and correcting them
on-the-fly via hyperlinks, for detecting geospatial data redundancies or lack
of data, etc.
- Searching different metadata elements with different operators depending
on the element type. It also searches by geographical area and by metadata
elements with hierarchy: for example, a search with the keyword biology also
finds metadata containing botany, zoology, ecology, etc.
- Making sensitive/insensitive searches to stressed words or capital letters.
- The result of the query is a list of metadata brief that can be personalized
with different visualization contents and styles. Accessing additional metadata
information in other documents as XML, HTML as well as in GeMM application.
- Single click visualization of layers through the MiraMon GIS.
Department of Geography and Centre for Ecological Research and Applied
Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB)
08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona
Tel: +34 93 581 13 12
Fax: +34 93 581 41 51